Monday, December 3, 2007

NaNoWriteOff

Well, I didn’t manage 50,000 words by the end of November. Not even close. However, I did do more writing during that month than the rest of the year put together, and that was the idea really. I like a deadline, it seems to focus my attention, and I’ve proved to myself that when I put my mind to it I CAN sit down and Get On With It, which begs the question – why don’t I?
My new strategy, I’ve decided, is reverse psychology. If I tell myself I can’t do something, I immediately want to do it - for instance, if I mentally decide not to eat chocolate for a day/week, (Hah, as if!) I simply can’t think about anything else and I always give in. So, following the same principle…I’m not going to do any writing AT ALL for a week. I’m banning myself from going to the computer, from opening up the BOOK file, from re-reading my work, from doing a bit of editing and from deciding what’s going to happen next…I SIMPLY WON’T ALLOW IT.

I can feel it working already.

5 comments:

HelenMWalters said...

Oooh, you'll have to let us know if that one works! Any strategy is worth a try!

Jill Steeples said...

Oh dear, this seems a bit radical to me! I've a feeling if I tried this, I might be very good at it!

Leigh Forbes said...

Please, can you ban me from not eating chocolate?

Karen said...

Just for the record - it's not working...

Lane Mathias said...

Please say it works. I need help!